BWBS Education Consultants [a business division of BW Business Solutions (UK) Ltd

Unit G23B, Waterfront Studios, 1 Dock Road, London ​E16 1AH, United Kingdom

Tel: +44(0)02074767066, Mob: +44(0)7507380343, Mob: +44(0)7885815796


Registered company in England & Wales. Reg. No. 8242189 ​All Rights Reserved © 2016

      Tel:  + ​44 (0) 2074767066

Mob:  + ​44 (0) 7507380343

Mob:  ​+ ​44 (0) 7885815796

Skype : bwbsedu


Making a Tier 4 (General) application in UK
Last modified: 18 July 2016

This information is based on the changes to the Immigration Rules which came into force on 6 April 2016 and the
 Home Office's Tier 4 policy guidance version 07/16,to be used for all Tier 4 applications on or after 18 July 2016. We update it as soon as possible after any changes. However, if you have printed this webpage, we advise that you check on our website that it is still the most recent version.

You may need to make a Tier 4 application while you are in the UK.  For example, you may need to apply because:

  • you need more time to undertake re-sits or to repeat part of your course
  • you are switching to a new Tier 4 sponsor
  • you are extending your stay in the UK to work as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer or as a Doctor or Dentist in training, or for the Doctorate Extension Scheme,  all of which are done with Tier 4 leave

This section guides you through the eligibility and application process.  It is important that you check first that you are eligible to apply and that any time limits on study in the UK do not affect your application.

Can you apply in the UK?
Last modified: 18 July 2016

In order to apply for a new Tier 4 visa in the UK your new course of studies must start no more than 28 days after the end of your current leave, if the gap between the end of your current leave and the start of your new course (as stated on your CAS) is longer than 28 days then you must leave the UK and apply from your home country.
In addition to this the Immigration Rules only allow people who were last granted leave in certain immigration categories to make a Tier 4 application in the UK. If you currently have a Tier 4 (General) student visa then you must currently be sponsored by:
     •    A UK recognised body or a body in receipt of public funding as an HEI (higher education institution); or
   •  An overseas higher education institution and you have been undertaking a short-term study abroad programme in the UK; or
     •    an embedded college offering pathway courses (this does not include pre-sessional courses); or
     •    an independent school
If you do not know if this applies to you then ask your Tier 4 sponsor.
You can also apply in the UK if you currently have leave in one of the following categories:
     •    Tier 4 (Child) student
     •    Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) migrant
     •    Tier 2 migrant
You can also make a Tier 4 application in the UK if you were last granted leave as a student under the old Immigration Rules that were in place before the Tier 4 student Rules were introduced in March 2009.
If your last grant of leave was not one of the categories listed above then you must return to your home country and apply for a Tier 4 visa from there. There are currently two exceptions to this. If you wish to apply under one of these exceptions, we advise that you speak to an immigration adviser before you apply and that you include a letter with your application explaining your situation.