ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS FOR MOST COURSES
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level. The qualifications below must have been gained within two years of the start of your course.
General English language requirements at UK University: International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training)
- overall score 6.0
- no sub-test less than 5.5
COMMON EQUIVALENT ENGLISH LANGUAGE QUALIFICATIONS
All stated English tests are acceptable for admission for both home/EU and international students for this programme:
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): 176 overall; no sub-test less than 169
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English: ISEII with the minimum of a Pass in all sub-tests
IELTS SCORE EXCEPTIONS (DBA, CERTIFICATE OF HIGHER EDUCATION, PHD, ETC.)
For our research degrees (MRes, MPhil, PhD, DBA, DProf), applicants are required to have an IELTS score as follows:
- overall score of 6.5
- no sub-test less than 6.0
For Health, Nursing & Midwifery courses that lead to professional registration with the Nursing & Midwifery Council, applicants are required to have an IELTS score as follows:
- overall score of 7.0
- no sub-test less than 7.0
For our Certificate of Higher Education courses, applicants are required to have an IELTS score as follows:
- overall score of 5.0
- no sub-test less than 4.5
Applicants who do not meet the minimum English language requirements have the option to study one of our preparatory and pre-sessional English courses. The UK University courses available are:
- 10 week pre-sessional – entry criteria UKVI IELTS 5.0 with no element below 4.5.
- 5 week pre-sessional – entry criteria UKVI IELTS 5.5 with no element below 5.5.
- English Language for University Study – entry criteria UKVI IELTS with score of 4.0 in all elements (10 month course), or 4.5 with no score below 4.0 (7 month course).